Rega Planar 3
$945.00 – $1,145.00
Replacing the multi award winning What Hi-Fi? Product of the Year (RP3) was never going to be an easy task. It took our team of designers headed up by Rega’s Roy Gandy, two years to develop the all new ‘Planar 3’ following the biggest re-design of the iconic ‘Three’ model ever seen.
Our team have worked tirelessly to improve every aspect of this turntable offering improved ergonomics, usability and first and foremost, sonic performance. The new ‘Planar 3’ is truly a new turntable for 2016 carrying over just two components from the previous model.
The iconic Planar 3
Rega has pioneered the use of lightweight rigid plinths. Clever use of lightweight particulate core with a highly rigid phenolic resin skin became the foundations of the high level of performance achieved by the now iconic original Planar range.
The new Planar 3 takes this design philosophy to the next level. A lightweight acrylic laminated plinth strengthened using a new improved double brace system mounted specifically where the increased rigidity is required (between the tonearm mounting and the main hub bearing) which forms a structurally sound “stressed beam” assembly. This rigid plinth design prevents energy absorption and unwanted resonance, which will add unnatural distortions to the music. Equally, heavier mass can transfer more unwanted energy, such as motor or bearing noise directly into the rotating record. The use of braces instead of the complete skin allows double thickness phenolic resin in these key areas while providing further weight reduction to the plinth which directly addresses the issue of mass absorption and unwanted energy transmission.
- What Hi-Fi? Product of the year 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- RB330 precision tonearm
- Rega Elys 2 cartridge factory fitted (optional)
- Double brace technology
- 24 V low noise, low vibration motor
- 12 mm float glass opti-white polished platter
- Supplied with clear dust cover as standard.
- Compatible with Rega Neo turntable power supply (sold separately)
- High gloss plinth with three colour options
- Lifetime warranty against manufacture defects
- Hand assembled precision RB330 tonearm
- 24 V low noise motor
- 12 mm glass polished edge
- RCA / Phono
- Power (additional)
- Mini DIN for connection to Neo PSU (optional upgrade)
- Dimensions (lid closed) (W x H x D)
- 447 x 117 x 360 mm
- 6.0 kg